Chicken & Corn Chowder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 shallot
- 1 inch ginger root
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1/4 red pepper
- 2 cups water or Chicken Stock
- 1 tbs Better Than Bouillon (Chicken), if not using Stock
- Small handful of fresh cilantro.
- Trim Fat from Thighs
- Generously coat thighs with cornstarch and refrigerate for 20 minutes
- Reserve remaining cornstarch
- Chop shallot, ginger root
- Chop reserved chicken into byte size pieces
- Add olive oil to pot and heat to medium high, hot but not smoking.
- Add chicken to pot and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add Shallot and Ginger to pot, continue stirring and cooking until shallot is translucent.
- Add water or stock to pot
- Stir in Better Than Bouillon if using water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer
- Add reserved cornstarch around 1 tbs to cupo and add 2 tbs of cold water. Stir until dissolved, the add to pot.
- Stir pot to incorporate cornstarch and continue simmering for 20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro.
Skillet Corn Bread
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbs molasses
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Add coconut oil to a 10” cast iron pan or equivalent
- Place pan in over for 7 minutes.
- Remove Pan from over and add butter to pan.
- Add flour, cornmeal, yogurt, milk & eggs to pan and mix until smooth.
- Add melted butter from pan to bowl and stir to incorporate.
- Add sugar molasses, salt, baking soda and baling powder to bowl and stir to incorporate.
- Pour batter into pan and put in oven. Reduce heat to 425 and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes.
- Remove cornbread from pan. I usually work a knife around the edge then flip the pan over a plate, then flip it back right side up.