Tomorrow is Pauline’s Birthday. So I’m going to make her some of her favorites dishes. She loves foie gras and I just happen to have a lobe in the freezer. Since its just the two od us I will cut it half and just defrost one of the halves. Today, however was move the Subaru into the garage day. So first I had to get everything out of the garage, back the Subaru in, host each wheel up and slip a dolly under it. Then shove the car into the corner, then put every thing back into the garage.
- ½ a foie gras
- 2 tbs pepper
- 1 black truffle (which I did not have on hand)
- 1 tbs Kosher Salt
- 1 package cheese cloth
- 1 bamboo skewer
- Lots of cold water
- Lots of red wine
- 3 bay leaves
- Remove the veins from the fois gras
- Thinly slice the truffle and add to foie gras
- Add Salt and Pepper to fois gras
- Form foie gras into a ball
- Wrap fois gras in cheese cloth and tighten each end to for a sausage like thing.
- Tie each end with string
- Cut of excess cheese cloth
- Push skewer though the cloth and obe end of the sausage.
- Hang foie over long narrow pot
- Add water till ½ the foie is submerged
- Add wine to pot, leave a glass for yourself.
- Add more water in needed to completely submerge foie
- Transfer foie to another container ,fill with ice and water to submerge foie
- Bring pot to a boil and remove from heat
- Hang foie in pot for 90 seconds
- Transfer foie to ice bath
- Discard wine or use for making Beef Bourguignon
- Cool pot quicky
- Hang foie in pot and regrigerate 24 hours
- Use a sushi mat to reform foie into thinner sausauge while still its cheese cloth.
- Remove cheese cloth
- Cut into ½ inch slice and serve with a raspberry or blueberry coulis