I often just make a hearty soup for lunch. It’s fast and easy and good for your waistline, though you would never know from looking at mine.
When I’m preparing vegetables like broccoli or asparagus, rather than discarding the stems I add them to a bag in my freezer. (a separate bag for each). These trimmings are perfect for making soup.
I use an Instant Pot, but you can use a pressure cooker or a regular pot (see note in step 7 )
- 1 1/2” piece of ginger root
- 1 shallot
- 3 large carrots
- 1 broccoli stem
- 2 cups of water
- Peel ginger root and cut into ¼ inch rounds, the quarter the rounds.
- Peel shallot and chop into small pieces
- Peel the carrots and cut into ½ inch rounds
- Cut broccoli stem into ½ inch rounds
- Add ginger and shallots to your Pot and Sauté on High until shallots are translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add carrots and broccoli to Pot and stir with a wooden spoon for a minute
- Add water. Using an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker, pressure cook fro 24 minutes. Otherwise double the amount of water (4 cups), bring to a boil and lower heat so it’s barely boiling for 45 minutes.
- Use a submersible wand to purée the soup, a blender or food processor.
- Garnish with a sprig of parsley or a dollop or creamed avocado. Salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Don’t add salt or pepper till after the soup is done and plated.